My name is Carlos; I am a 24 year old third year law student. I caught the travel bug when I was 20 years old and sailed around the world on the MV Explorer from Jan. 2008 to May 2008. It was the most amazing experience of my life. I learned a lot about myself along the journey, I don't know if I would have the passion for travel I do now if it was not for that experience. Ever since I can’t get enough, going so many places I would've never even dreamed just a few years ago when I was complacently trapped in my American bubble. In what is presumably my last summer of freedom before I become imprisoned by corporate America, I am embarking on a journey through South America. Mostly to become fluent in a language I should’ve been taught a long time ago as a child being half Puerto Rican, but also to see, learn, explore and grow in a way only possible through travel.

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Neverending Cable Car, and A Park of Fatties

Everyone loves the good old Cable car that seems to be in most mountainous regions that normally takes people up for amazing views of the city.  Well this is not really the case with Medellin.  While the view going up to the first platform is pretty awesome you cannot take good pictures because the windows to the cable car aren’t clear enough to focus outside the glare and scratches to the windows.   One would assume when taking a cable car it would take you to an area where you could take good pictures overlooking the city, not in Medellin.  The first platform puts you right in the gritty area of town by all the favelas’.  This is not an area where one should shy away too far from the Metro Cable car station and there really isn’t an area to take a good picture of the city.  So Natasha, Henry, Kats, Chris and I assumed that we should take the cable car up the mountain further because there would be a platform to take good pictures. 
















We thought wrong, with what seemed like forever probably about 35 minutes, we swayed over endless trees passing the views of the city and ending up in the middle of the forest with no views whatsoever.  We got off in the forest thinking there was a short walk to a view but soon realized there was absolutely nothing on this mountain and we were just stuck in the trees.  So we went back to the cable car station to go back to the city and they made us pay again.  The cable car smelled like feet the whole way back and no one could figure out what the smell was.  We narrowed it down to Kats feet or Chris’ sandals.  Kats tried to force Henry to smell her feet so she could be ruled out but Henry refused profusely hahaha.  She still tried to lift her feet towards his face.  The Colombians that were in the cable car with us probably thought the 4 Brits and the lone American were retarded.  So finally after 2 hours we were off the never-ending cable car.  From the cable car we took the metro to Parque de Berrio, which holds the stock exchange, bank of the Republic, and La Candelaria Church.  There is a huge plaza of fat people sculptures where locals hang out.  Right off the Metro we saw a dunkin donuts stand and couldn’t resist.  We then walked around the plaza takings pictures of the fat people sculptures; the plaza was packed with locals.  

No comments:

Post a Comment