My name is Carlos; I am a 24 year old third year law student. I caught the travel bug when I was 20 years old and sailed around the world on the MV Explorer from Jan. 2008 to May 2008. It was the most amazing experience of my life. I learned a lot about myself along the journey, I don't know if I would have the passion for travel I do now if it was not for that experience. Ever since I can’t get enough, going so many places I would've never even dreamed just a few years ago when I was complacently trapped in my American bubble. In what is presumably my last summer of freedom before I become imprisoned by corporate America, I am embarking on a journey through South America. Mostly to become fluent in a language I should’ve been taught a long time ago as a child being half Puerto Rican, but also to see, learn, explore and grow in a way only possible through travel.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Medellin


Medellin was once one of the most dangerous cities in the world for its population and disproportional homicide and kidnapping rate due to Pablo Escobar and the Medellin Cartel who ran the city during the 80s through the early 90s.  It is safe to say that the city has rebounded remarkably and is no longer deserving of this distinction since the disbandment of the Medellin Cartel.  As a relatively newer city Medellin is filled with modernistic high rises, awesome displays of public art, many relaxing green spaces throughout the city, the countries only Metro system, and an eternal spring with the climate being (60-85F) year round making Medellin a city to definitely see on any visit to Colombia.  If that was not enough the nightlife in Medellin is on par with Bogota, it’s Zona Rosa/Parque Lleras area is filled with world-class restaurants and a thriving club/bar scene.  Medellin is a large city built in the Aburra valley and surrounded on both sides by grand mountain ranges.  Needless to say everything is bright and green with gorgeous views of the city available from every side of the sprawling metropolis.  Only problem I have come to learn of in Medellin is the loads of travelers who plan to come for a few days and end up staying much longer than they had planned.  I made it out in a week luckily; I try not to stay long in newer cities, as I like to see older things and out of places that resemble cities I can find in the US.











No comments:

Post a Comment