My name is Carlos; I am a 24 year old third year law student. I caught the travel bug when I was 20 years old and sailed around the world on the MV Explorer from Jan. 2008 to May 2008. It was the most amazing experience of my life. I learned a lot about myself along the journey, I don't know if I would have the passion for travel I do now if it was not for that experience. Ever since I can’t get enough, going so many places I would've never even dreamed just a few years ago when I was complacently trapped in my American bubble. In what is presumably my last summer of freedom before I become imprisoned by corporate America, I am embarking on a journey through South America. Mostly to become fluent in a language I should’ve been taught a long time ago as a child being half Puerto Rican, but also to see, learn, explore and grow in a way only possible through travel.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Cartagena De Indias (The Architectural Gem of the Americas)









                     Cartagena a Unesco World Heritage site and currently ranked #5 on things to see by lonelyplanet.com is a mix of old and new.   A majestic colonial architectural wonder best describes the old city fortified by a 500 hundred-year-old coral stone fort.  Almost fully intact the walled city boast cobblestone streets, grand terraces and balconies, as well as towering grandiose churches.   Cartagena one of the first sanctuaries of freed African slaves in the Americas has a huge ethnic mix of people that showcases the broad range of ethnic diversity in Colombia.  Cartagena is on the northern coast of Colombia and is the most visited city in the country by tourists.  It’s port boast many international and domestic cruise ships.  Cartagena is truly a city of beauty with its old walled colonial town, mixed with the modernistic Bocagrande with its towering high-rises and posh structures mimicking most closely to South Beach, Miami.  The climate in Cartagena is most definitely hot anywhere from (80-100F) year round with humidity similar to Atlanta during summer, but at least there are beaches to bring a nice breeze unlike ATL.  Fresh cheap seafood and sunny weather make this a must see for any traveler.  By far the prettiest city I have ever traveled to and this is around my 200th city in over 20 countries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment