My name is Carlos; I am a 24 year old third year law student. I caught the travel bug when I was 20 years old and sailed around the world on the MV Explorer from Jan. 2008 to May 2008. It was the most amazing experience of my life. I learned a lot about myself along the journey, I don't know if I would have the passion for travel I do now if it was not for that experience. Ever since I can’t get enough, going so many places I would've never even dreamed just a few years ago when I was complacently trapped in my American bubble. In what is presumably my last summer of freedom before I become imprisoned by corporate America, I am embarking on a journey through South America. Mostly to become fluent in a language I should’ve been taught a long time ago as a child being half Puerto Rican, but also to see, learn, explore and grow in a way only possible through travel.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Learning Spanish with the Plague



              Well Spanish school started off well.  My vocab was expanding rapidly and I was beginning to understand most of what was said to me but still unable to speak back.  That’s pretty good for a week and a half.  Then the plague came like a bat out of hell, turning my life into a fiery, sweaty, throbbing hot mess.  Fatigued, no doctor on speed dial, and the stubbornness that it should pass in two days was my downfall.  I still am a little sick, but the fever ended after 4 days.  Those miserable 4 days where I wasn’t hungry, in and out of the chills, only drinking water and orange juice sucked major.  I didn’t realize till day two that I was using expired Dayquil so that was one problem.  Day 3 I finally had enough energy to walk to the Farmacia where I got Advil Max for the fever and migraine I had.  I didn’t care that I was sick, I was mad that I was so sick I couldn’t attend class and therefore wasted money and was not learning Spanish.  Basically I was cuddled up in a hostel bed alone for 4 days with nothing to show for it.  Unless you count the fact I learned you could rent movies from itunes, I don’t know if that counts though.  If it does than I have $16.50 in itunes rentals fees to show for being sick (epic life fail).  Spanish class is not cheap usually ranging from $220-$250 for a week of lessons, which of course you pay in advance and if you are sick your SOL. 

No comments:

Post a Comment