My name is Carlos; I am a 24 year old third year law student. I caught the travel bug when I was 20 years old and sailed around the world on the MV Explorer from Jan. 2008 to May 2008. It was the most amazing experience of my life. I learned a lot about myself along the journey, I don't know if I would have the passion for travel I do now if it was not for that experience. Ever since I can’t get enough, going so many places I would've never even dreamed just a few years ago when I was complacently trapped in my American bubble. In what is presumably my last summer of freedom before I become imprisoned by corporate America, I am embarking on a journey through South America. Mostly to become fluent in a language I should’ve been taught a long time ago as a child being half Puerto Rican, but also to see, learn, explore and grow in a way only possible through travel.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Dreamer Hostel

The Dreamer Hostel, where to even begin.  I never thought I would be able to find a hostel that was truly more amazing than Kabul Backpackers in Barcelona, Spain but low and behold it happened.  What originally was supposed to be less than a week somehow turned into two.  Even before coming to The Dreamer I was told how awesome it was and I would probably end up stuck there (Henry Bowlsby) my posh English friend who wound up staying there a month.  Well I guess it wasn’t a lie this place had it all.  All near 70 spaces at full capacity, a huge pool for the constant 90F/33C year round temperature, a surprisingly good Italian restaurant, fast wifi, close to the supermarket, and easy access to all the amazing beaches around the area.  I met so many amazing people while staying at this hostel it felt like we had become a family.  Dennis paid for an extra flight to stay extra time, Shauna and Taylor cancelled their other hostel to spend more time and you can say the same of Ollie and I; Since I was there nearly an extra five days.  Ollie and Luke who were both traveling together for the past 8 months were at the end of their trip and heading back to England, Dennis had a week before he had to go to Holland, and Shauna and Taylor were almost done and headed back to Canada.  The hostel is always looking for help in return for a free stay and meal.   The cost to stay there is roughly $12 a day and the meals range from $4 to $9.  So Ollie and Luke decided to work at the bar to take advantage of this.  They even gave the bar a name, which had never been done before “Pigs”.  VodkaPig was Ollie’s nickname back in England because he could consume so much Vodka like it was in a trough, the slogan they came up with “Pigs its like rolling in shit”, pure genius ha.  It probably was the easiest job I have ever seen in my life, minus my 4 years working at the Africana Studies department where I simply had to point my finger to kids in direction to their professors’ offices while I watched dvds or did hw.  Feeding hostel kids 2 choices of beer, and either rum, vodka or tequila while they got to party at the same time from 6pm-midnight.  Then they would go out with everyone.  Half their hours were spent sitting playing drinking games with everyone.  Not to mention the Shakira looking front desk clerks, I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone regardless of age.  Since this trip I have noticed a huge influx of adults 35-60 staying in hostels I guess it’s a sign of the times.


Ashley on the 1 night she drank wonder why





    



The Group minus Ash
Shauna and I teaching the rest of the world the North American game of flip cup

3 comments:

  1. There are quite a lot of types of hostels in our time, and all of them tend to have their extraordinary distinctiveness; some are more like average hotels, some are entirely different experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From all the Dreamer hostel staff, a big thanks for your beautiful post, it was a big pleasure have you here and we all remember you with a big smile!!! Gina,Raysa Ricardo and Miguel

    ReplyDelete
  3. its true! one of the best hostels i've ever been to

    ReplyDelete