My name is Carlos; I am a 24 year old third year law student. I caught the travel bug when I was 20 years old and sailed around the world on the MV Explorer from Jan. 2008 to May 2008. It was the most amazing experience of my life. I learned a lot about myself along the journey, I don't know if I would have the passion for travel I do now if it was not for that experience. Ever since I can’t get enough, going so many places I would've never even dreamed just a few years ago when I was complacently trapped in my American bubble. In what is presumably my last summer of freedom before I become imprisoned by corporate America, I am embarking on a journey through South America. Mostly to become fluent in a language I should’ve been taught a long time ago as a child being half Puerto Rican, but also to see, learn, explore and grow in a way only possible through travel.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Terramottos Make Your Body Quake


































        Santiago is a lot of fun, there is a good mix of old styled buildings with modern high rises.  This was the first time I had seen any fat people since leaving the US.  Supposedly Chile has the 2nd highest obesity rate in Latin America after Mexico.  The metro here was amazing, best one I have seen in South America it goes to every part of the city.   Got in, got settled in my hostel which was pretty nice, but for $20 a night it should’ve been better.  Hostels in Chile are more expensive than any country I have been to.  I paid less than $10 in Colombia and was staying in nicer places.  The smog is horrible in Santiago my asthma was going crazy.  Luckily it rained the first night allowing for it to become more bearable.   Supposedly the part of town I was staying in was not the nicest.  When I met up with Kyle for him to show me around he told me his GF wouldn’t even walk around this part of town.  Kyle showed me around the main areas of Santiago and then we went to some famous bar for Terramottos(means earthquake).  Which is a really strong Chilean drink with Pisco, pineapple ice cream, and some other ingredient.  Chilean Spanish is so different they don’t finish all their words and sometimes they add stuff to their words, which made it very hard for me.  I learned some new slang though which was cool.  Santiago is a huge city with over 9 million people.  Mayonnaise is king here; they put it on everything and massive amounts, which probably accounts for their obesity.  Finally music got good again, Uruguay and Argentina have shit music.  I was happy to see a supermarket again, these little mini markets in Uruguay and Argentina I could never find anything I wanted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment