My name is Carlos; I am a 24 year old third year law student. I caught the travel bug when I was 20 years old and sailed around the world on the MV Explorer from Jan. 2008 to May 2008. It was the most amazing experience of my life. I learned a lot about myself along the journey, I don't know if I would have the passion for travel I do now if it was not for that experience. Ever since I can’t get enough, going so many places I would've never even dreamed just a few years ago when I was complacently trapped in my American bubble. In what is presumably my last summer of freedom before I become imprisoned by corporate America, I am embarking on a journey through South America. Mostly to become fluent in a language I should’ve been taught a long time ago as a child being half Puerto Rican, but also to see, learn, explore and grow in a way only possible through travel.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Where's Hermione's Endless Bag When You Need It?

What I Brought?
3 Bags
My Club Volleyball Duffle
·      7 pairs underwear/socks
·      Under Armor Top/Bottom
·      5 pairs of shorts (2 regular, 2 running, 1 Board shorts)
·      2 white undershirts
·      2 Tanks
·      5 V-Necks
·      5 T-Shirts
·      1 Sweater
·      1 button down (c’mon its 3 months I need at least one)
·      1 light weight fold up rain/hiking jacket
·      3 pairs of shoes (vans, converse, running)
·      Swiss Army Knife (compliments of Bryan Petry)
Swiss Army Backpack
·      1 pair of pants
·      2 pairs of jeans
·      2 hoodies
·      Shower Sandals
·      Money Belt
Swiss Army Lap Top Case
·      Electronics (Camera, External HD, MacBook Pro)
·      7 Books
o   4 International Business Transactions
o   2 Leisure (American Psycho, Dispatches From The Edge)
o   BarBri Bar Preparation (1 Year till California Bar Examination)


The hardest thing by far was trying to pack.  Three months is a pretty long time; the fact that I will be in all different kinds of climates made it doubly as hard.   Colombia while sitting on the Equator varies in temperate zones depending on where in the country you are.  Bogota the capital city with its over 8 million residents is high in the mountainous region which keeps its climate at roughly 65 degrees year round at day and dipping down to the low 50s to mid 40s at night.  I plan on staying in Bogota for 2-3 weeks from which I will then move onto the city of Medellin.  Medellin is one of the many cities in South America that have eternal spring, meaning their weather is always reminiscent of spring year round.  This is also home to Pablo Escobar probably one of the most famous criminals of all time, who at one point was Time Magazines 7th richest man in the world.  I plan on staying in Medellin for a week before moving onto my original plan of being on Colombia’s Caribbean coast in Cartagena, famous for being one of the most beautiful and oldest colonial towns in South America for the main part of my stay in this country.   Colombia’s Caribbean coast sits at a solid 85 degrees year round.  I plan on staying on the coast for 3-4 weeks.  Then making my way down towards Chile and Argentina to meet up with some good friends who are living out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment