My name is Carlos; I am a 24 year old third year law student. I caught the travel bug when I was 20 years old and sailed around the world on the MV Explorer from Jan. 2008 to May 2008. It was the most amazing experience of my life. I learned a lot about myself along the journey, I don't know if I would have the passion for travel I do now if it was not for that experience. Ever since I can’t get enough, going so many places I would've never even dreamed just a few years ago when I was complacently trapped in my American bubble. In what is presumably my last summer of freedom before I become imprisoned by corporate America, I am embarking on a journey through South America. Mostly to become fluent in a language I should’ve been taught a long time ago as a child being half Puerto Rican, but also to see, learn, explore and grow in a way only possible through travel.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

First Impression


       Three days into my adventure and I am having the time of my life.  Bogota at first glance is definitely not the prettiest city architecturally speaking, boring uninspiring skyscrapers littered with an abundance of sky rats, but it more than makes up for that with the attractive and liveliness of its residents.  This city is filled with some of the most attractive people I have ever seen and that’s saying a lot coming from someone who went to University of Arizona where everyone is tan, fit and good looking.  
Bogotan’s are very well dressed, reminiscent of my travels through Paris and Barcelona.  Traffic is ungodly here, I am glad I do not have to drive anywhere.  Pedestrians do not have the right away here so its pretty important you watch out while crossing the street, because drivers will not stop.   I find it considerably funny how dangerous Colombia is made out to be, and the lack of American tourism here.   I have experienced nothing but amazing hospitality and friendliness and feel perfectly safe, probably more safe than I would feel wandering the streets of Atlanta that’s for sure.   I have only met one other American, Nikos from Seattle.   There is something extremely refreshing and awkwardly endearing about walking around a city with over 8 million people and being the only two American’s in sight.




Bogota is filled with sprawling plazas, Universities and parks.  Always filled with people drinking coffee, chatting, and just hanging out.  There are over five universities within a 5-minute walking radius of my hostel.  So needless to say there are young people everywhere.  I am very happy with my hostel choice Destino Nomada.   Located in the heart of the historic district La Candelaria, comfy beds, great atmosphere, fun and helpful staff, satellite tv, very clean and only $9 a night.   Overall I already have fallen in love with this city, but I am sure I will say that a lot on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment