My name is Carlos; I am a 24 year old third year law student. I caught the travel bug when I was 20 years old and sailed around the world on the MV Explorer from Jan. 2008 to May 2008. It was the most amazing experience of my life. I learned a lot about myself along the journey, I don't know if I would have the passion for travel I do now if it was not for that experience. Ever since I can’t get enough, going so many places I would've never even dreamed just a few years ago when I was complacently trapped in my American bubble. In what is presumably my last summer of freedom before I become imprisoned by corporate America, I am embarking on a journey through South America. Mostly to become fluent in a language I should’ve been taught a long time ago as a child being half Puerto Rican, but also to see, learn, explore and grow in a way only possible through travel.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Monserrate


Monserrate is a mountain that dominates the city center of Bogota.  It sits at 10,341ft above sea level overshadowing the bustling metropolis.  At the top is a beautiful white church with a shrine to the “Fallen Lord”.   There used to be a hike to the top but due to rains and robbery it has now been closed.  I am definitely not in hiking shape for this elevation, so that was fine with me.   Mike and I took the cable car to the top, I usually only stare at the floor when I ride cable cars because I have a fear of heights but I was relatively fine on this straight shot up to the peak.  Maybe I am finally getting over my fear of heights, but that’s doubtful.  The ride takes about 3 minutes and has sweeping views of the entire city and surrounding towns.  Bogota is not known for having clear weather, so we got lucky that the past two days have been so nice.  I knew I had to take the opportunity to get up there before it was too overcast to see anything.  At the top of the peak there is a small tourist market with overpriced trinkets you can find for way cheaper around the city, as well as a few restaurants.  All downtown Bogotá, south Bogotá and some sections of the north of the city are visible facing west, making it a popular destination for watching the sun set over the city. 






















No comments:

Post a Comment